Menorca’s iconic dish, Caldereta de Langosta (lobster stew), is a celebrated delicacy blending the sea’s freshness with Mediterranean richness. This exquisite stew, representing the island’s essence, is perfect for special occasions like Christmas, enjoyed in good company. Mastering the art of preparing Caldereta de Langosta not only offers a gastronomic delight but also immerses you in the fundamental aspects of Menorcan culture and tradition.
- 1 fresh lobster (approximately 1 kg)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Prepare the Ingredients: Start by thoroughly cleaning the lobster. Then cut it into medium-sized pieces, keeping the meat inside the shells to preserve all its juices and flavour.
- A base sofrito: Finely chop the onion, garlic and red pepper. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add these ingredients, cooking over medium heat until golden brown and tender.
- Add Tomatoes and Lobster: Mix in the peeled and crushed tomatoes to the sofrito. Once the tomatoes are cooked, increase the heat slightly and add the lobster pieces. Sauté everything together for a few minutes to allow the lobster to absorb the flavors of the sofrito.
- Cooking with Wine and Spices: Pour the white wine and add the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. It is important not to overcook the lobster to prevent it from becoming tough
- Serve, once ready, the hot lobster stew, garnished with freshly chopped parsley. Traditionally, this dish is accompanied by toasted bread or “coca” to soak up the flavorful sauce.
The Menorcan Lobster Caldereta in not just a dish; it’s a culinary journey blending the sea’s flavour with the rich history and culture of the island. Ideal for celebrations or as a special indulgence. Relish this delicacy and share a taste of Menorcan tradition with your loved ones!.